WARM UP the whole body with this energising exercise and prepare your muscles and joints for the more challenging mat workout. Stand with feet hip width apart, arms by your sides and palms facing backwards.
2. Breathe in and swing the arms forward. Repeat 5 times.
3. Swing your arms upwards, and rise up on your toes.
4. As you breathe out swing your arms down bending the knees , then swing the arms back as if you’re skiing. Repeat 5 times.
Advanced Option: Perform all 4 steps in one sequence, repeating the whole sequence 5 times.
ROLL DOWN TO PRESS UP
This exercise works the whole body, especially challenging the arms and shoulders.
2. As you breathe out, pull in you abdominal muscles, roll your head forward and curve your back down as you reach towards the mat. 3. Breathe in and walk with the palms your hands forward until you are in the plank position.
4. Hold the plank position for 10 to 30 seconds, lowering the knees if you find it too challenging.
Advanced Option: For a greater challenge, perform a press up. Breathe in as you bend the arms and lower yourself down towards the mat. Breathe out as you straighten the arms.
TO RETURN to the starting position, breathe in and walk the hands back, then breathe out as you roll back up to a standing position. Repeat up to 4 times.
Prior to starting an exercise programme, it is advisable to seek guidance from your doctor or physiotherapist, if you have any health issues that may be giving you concern. My classes are suitable for all levels and allow for exercises to be adapted to meet each participant’s individual health requirements. Please get in touch to discuss these in confidence.
JOHN APPLEBY’S MAT PILATES Classes at Rudford & Highleadon Village Hall, Pauntley Village Hall, Sellack Parish Hall, Larruperz Centre, John Kyrle High School and Aston Ingham Village Hall.
Tel: 01989 567 505 or 07760 341 543