By James Dickson
Quite often when we decide to make a change, we think about the things we don’t want. For example:
• I don’t want to be carrying excess body fat.
• I don’t want to be out of breath walking up the stairs.
• I don’t want to struggle to play with my kids.
• I don’t want to feel uncomfortable in my new dress.
• I don’t want to feel unfit.
Whilst this is a good start, it does leave us with little in the way of a plan. What actions can we take from these points? To take things to the next stage, we can define the things we do want:
• I want to be lean and healthy, have some good muscle tone.
• I want to be fit enough to take on any challenge.
• I want to look fabulous and feel great.
• I want to live an active life.
• I want to be as strong as I look.
These statements are much more motivating and inspirational, wouldn’t you agree? Now we can start taking action with these, cue our Destination Postcard.
Imagine one day waking up and finding amongst your regular mail a postcard from yourself, looking one year into the future. What would it say? What amazing and wonderful things would you have done and achieved?
Let’s have a go at writing your destination postcard. In an ideal world a year from now:
• Where do you want to be?
• What do you want to be doing?
• What do you want to feel?
• What adventures do you want to be having?
You don’t need to worry about how you’re going to do it, now is not the time to be “realistic”. It could be travelling the world, smashing your personal best, fitting into all those old dresses you kept, winning the Dad’s sports day race, or even just being a better version of your current self. Whatever it is, capture it:
• Collect photos (Pinterest is a great way of doing this).
• Buy a Carpe Diem Calendar (a tear-off year countdown to a day) – I love this idea!
• Find an object that represents your destination, e.g. a sea shell as a symbol of your dream holiday, or a picture of your kids playing, a medal from a race you won. Place it by your computer as a daily reminder.
• Make a bet with a friend that would take you out of your comfort zone.
• Write a lesson to your future self. This is pretty cool to do, and there are some great, real examples, on the site as well. Now that you’ve got your postcard and reminder set, give yourself a high-five.
Start with something easy. Find a 5 minute action you can do that will take you one step closer to this destination. Make it simple and guaranteed to succeed.
Go on, have a go at writing your Destination Postcard and see what you can achieve. If you need a little help along the way, we are here for you. Why not get in touch? We’d be happy to help you get to your destination.
James Dickson is Senior Coach at Ady Watts Personal Training, Strength and Conditioning.
Tel: 01432 271 576
Email: email@example.com www.adywatts.com